2022 PHYSICIAN WELLNESS WORKSHOP
“The Creative Destruction of Physician Burnout:
Navigating the Post-COVID Health Care Ecosystem”
Accredited for 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Friday, Sept. 9, 2022 (Convention weekend)
9:30 a.m. ET ...…………………… Registration and Meet & Greet
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET ………Workshop
Embassy Suites Conference Center, Noblesville
Waters D and E
Fee includes lunch:
$100 for active member physicians
$30 for retired/hardship member physicians
$30 for ISMA member students/residents
$30 for spouses/significant others
Limited to 100 participants; registration is required.
This ISMA Convention Workshop is not open to nonmember physicians/allied health care practitioners.
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic and its related challenges, an increase in burnout had made wellness a focus of attention for physicians and health care leaders. To help ISMA members recognize, understand and prevent burnout in themselves and others, nationally known speaker Dike Drummond, MD, of TheHappyMD.com, will present a daylong CME workshop on the Friday of convention weekend.
Each attendee will receive a copy of Dr. Drummond’s book, “Stop Physician Burnout: What to Do When Working Harder Isn't Working.” In addition, spouses or significant others are invited to participate from 10 a.m. to noon for the morning session, “Burnout Proof Live: Navigating the Whirlwind – Burnout, COVID-19 and Your Personal Path Forward,” which includes lunch.
About the speaker:
Dike Drummond, MD
CEO and Founder of TheHappyMD.com
Dike Drummond, MD, is a Mayo-trained family practice physician, burnout survivor, executive coach and founder of TheHappyMD.com. He teaches simple methods to lower stress and to build more life balance and a more ideal practice. These tools were discovered and have been tested via
Dr. Drummond’s 3,000 hours of physician coaching experience. Since 2010, he has also delivered live burnout prevention training to over 40,000 physicians on behalf of 175 corporate and association clients on four continents.
Dr. Drummond’s mission is the creative destruction of physician burnout – revolutionizing the quality of health care by improving the health, happiness, humanity, and effectiveness of the people providing patient care.
This workshop includes four interactive, high-energy sessions:
Burnout Proof Live:
Navigating the Whirlwind – Burnout, COVID-19 and Your Personal Path Forward
10 a.m. – Noon ET
This session teaches how to recognize and prevent burnout, lower stress and build a more balanced life using insights from Dr. Drummond’s 3000+ hours of one- on-one physician coaching and training more than 40,000 doctors for over 175 organizations to date.
Upon completion of this training, all attendees will:
- Understand the difference between stress and burnout.
- Understand the three main symptoms of burnout.
- Be able to recognize burnout in themselves and others.
- Understand burnout’s pathophysiology, effects, complications and five main causes.
- Learn and practice the six most impactful burnout prevention tools from the HappyMD executive coaching practice; includes Ideal Job Description, Schedule HACK and Boundary Ritual.
- All attendees will begin planning their own personal burnout prevention strategy and identify their first action step.
- Understand how to reach out to a colleague in distress.
Noon – 1 p.m ET
Physician Leadership Power Tools
1 p.m. – 2 p.m. ET
This session teaches physicians five skills to build a culture of trust, teamwork, and performance on their teams.
Upon completion of this training, all attendees will:
- Identify the default physician leadership paradigm and its problems.
- Learn a leadership paradigm of trust, teamwork and performance that is matched to the needs of physicians leading a clinical care team and leaders of physician work teams.
- Learn and practice five skills to create this culture of trust and high performance on their teams:
- “Treat yourself like a dog.”
- Lead by asking questions rather than giving orders.
- Measure it or forget it – the critical importance of performance metrics.
- Awareness of stress/burnout.
- Recognize and deal with dilemmas.
- All attendees will pick one leadership skill and a specific action to focus on when they return to work.
Physician’s Guide to Navigating a Bureaucracy and Managing Your Boss
2 p.m. – 3 p.m. ET
This session fills another hole in physician’s medical education – how to manage your boss and get what you need inside a bureaucracy. The tools are applicable to any large organizational setting such as employer group, hospital, health plan, or ACO.
Upon completion of this training, all attendees will learn and practice:
- The keys to influence inside a bureaucracy.
- How to manage your relationship with your boss.
- When to ask for forgiveness and when to ask permission when taking new actions.
- Why you must take your “doctor hat” off in these situations.
- How to recognize and defuse anger in leadership discussions.
- Each participant will receive a copy of our Manage Your Boss Checklist, choose the leader who they will focus their influence efforts upon, and pick a first step in building that relationship.
Interactive Group Question and Answer Session
3 p.m. – 5 p.m. ET
We will take time to dive deeper into any specific issues participants are struggling with.
- Burnout in training
- Generational differences in burnout
- Gender differences in burnout
- Physician retirement
- Dealing with difficult patients or leaders
- EMR and electronic task overload
Discussion may include any other specific issues participants would like to discuss. Dr. Drummond will stay as long as you still have questions. If you feel one-on-one personal coaching support is right for you, future follow-up sessions can also be arranged.
Accreditation Statement: The Indiana State Medical Association (ISMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation Statement: The Indiana State Medical Association (ISMA) designates this live activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosure Policy: In accordance with The Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, educational programs sponsored by the ISMA must demonstrate balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. Prior to the activity, all faculty, authors, editors and planning committee members participating in an ISMA-sponsored activity are required to disclose to attendees any financial relationships with an “ineligible company” whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Disclosure Statement: There are no relevant financial relationships with an ineligible company to identify, mitigate or disclose because the content of this activity is non-clinical in nature.
Supported by an educational grant from:
If you have questions, contact ISMA Continuing Medical Education staff at 800-257-4762 or email@example.com.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sept. 2, 2022 at midnight
Registration is capped at 100. Once this limit has been reached, registration will be closed.
Please register as soon as possible to avoid missing out.
When registering, please ensure you are taking the following steps to complete the order.
- Click on the orange “Register” button at the bottom of the event landing page.
- Add Program Option for "Registering Your Spouse/SO," if desired, and provide their name.
- Click "Save Response."
- Your registration will then be “pending checkout.” Please click on the orange “Proceed to Checkout” button.
- Your Shopping Cart will display. Please click on the orange “Submit Order” button.
- Once you’ve successfully submitted the order, an Order Confirmation page pops up indicating that “a confirmation email is being sent to you” at the email address on file. That confirmation email will contain additional logistical information.