Treating Opioid Use Disorder:
A Review of FDA-Approved Medications and
Buprenorphine Prescribing Requirements
Accredited for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Thurs., Feb. 9, 2023
Noon – 1 p.m. ET
The 2023 Live Opioid CME Series is FREE for members and nonmembers
thanks to support by a State Opioid Response Grant from:
Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
Division of Mental Health and Addiction
A wealth of evidence about medications to treat opioid use disorder (OUD) has been amassed over the past half century from clinical studies, randomized controlled trials, systematic reviews and meta-analyses. In spite of the extensive evidence supporting the use of medications to treat OUD, there remain major gaps in knowledge about which medication works best and for whom, as well as how the medications compare over the long term. This webinar is designed to give physicians and nonphysician practitioners a better understanding of functional outcomes of medication-based treatment for OUD.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Characterize the history of Opioid Use Disorder (OUD).
- Summarize the epidemiology of opioid-related overdose deaths.
- Comprehend the paradigm shift in substance use disorder treatment, including harm reduction.
- Outline substance use disorder (SUD) myths.
- Categorize all three FDA approved medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD), including their limitations and prescribing guidelines.
- Identify the five DSM criteria for the diagnosis of SUD and OUD.
- Appreciate the importance of universal screening for SUD in primary care.
- Interpret X-waiver training criteria and "intent to prescribe."
Michael A. Mitcheff, DO, MBA
Corporate Medical Director, Wexford Health Sources
Chief Medical Officer, Beacon Addiction Medicine LLC
About our speaker:
Dr. Mitcheff is board certified in addiction medicine, family medicine and health care quality management. He recently served as an expert panelist for Project Echo with IU School of Medicine’s medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD) program. He serves as corporate medical director for Wexford Health Sources, a correctional health care company; chief medical officer for Beacon Addiction Medicine LLC; and is a former chief medical officer for the Indiana Department of Correction.
Designation Statement: The Indiana State Medical Association (ISMA) designates this live webinar for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Accreditation Statement: The Indiana State Medical Association (ISMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Disclosure Policy: In accordance with The Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, educational programs sponsored by the ISMA must demonstrate balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. Prior to the activity, all faculty, authors, editors and planning committee members participating in an ISMA-sponsored activity are required to disclose to attendees any financial relationships with an “ineligible company” whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Disclosure Statement: No member of the CME Planning Committee or our speaker have any relevant financial relationships with an ineligible company to disclose.
If you have questions, contact ISMA Continuing Medical Education staff at 800-257-4762 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Feb. 9, 2023, at 11:30 a.m. ET
When registering, please ensure you are taking the following steps to complete the order.
- Click on the “Register” button at the bottom of the event landing page.
- Your registration will then be “pending checkout.” Please click on the “Proceed to Checkout” button.
- Your Shopping Cart will display. Please click on the “Submit Order” button.
- Once you’ve successfully submitted the order, an Order Confirmation page pops up indicating that “a confirmation email is being sent to you” at the email address on file. That confirmation email will contain the Zoom link needed to access the webinar.