Now is the time for you to act on issues you think should become ISMA policy by introducing a resolution for consideration by the ISMA House of Delegates Sept. 5-7. But hurry! The deadline to submit a resolution is Monday, July 7.
Here are some important guidelines for writing an effective resolution.
- Begin with a clear action or stand you would like the ISMA to take on an issue and the reasons why.
- Write a short title.
- Include your name or the names of ISMA members introducing the resolution.
- Develop one or more “Whereas” statements explaining the issue and why ISMA action is requested.
- Conclude with one or more “Resolved” statements that must stand alone and say what you want the ISMA to do in a clear and specific action plan. For example: “Resolved, that the ISMA set up a task force to study the impact of bundled payments on physician practices.”
The ISMA staff will help you prepare a resolution, just call (800) 257-4762 or (317) 261-2060. Only ISMA members may submit resolutions.
For examples or to see what issues were addressed during the 2013 House of Delegates, go to the ISMA Convention page.
Three awards honor a colleague or a layperson
Each year, the ISMA seeks to recognize physicians and laypersons who contribute time and talent to their communities. However, the deadline to submit nominations is Friday, June 13. The awards will be presented during ISMA’s annual convention Sunday, Sept. 7. Here are the requirements for each one.
Physician Community Service Award
This award honors an Indiana physician who has made civic, cultural, social or economic contributions to the community. Physicians and citizens may submit nominations.
To be eligible, the physician nominee must:
- Be licensed within the state of Indiana
- Be living
- Not have received the award previously
- Compiled an outstanding record of community service, apart from specific identification as a physician, that reflects well on the profession
Patient Health Advocate Award
Only ISMA physician members may submit nominations for this award that recognizes a non-physician who has made great contributions to the health and well-being of Hoosier patients.
Nominations must include:
- Current biography of the nominee
- Letter of recommendation outlining the contributions by the nominee
- Articles or documents highlighting the nominee’s contribution to the health of Indiana citizens
Dr. Kathleen Galbraith Legacy Leadership Award
In memory of long-time ISMA member Kathleen Galbraith, M.D., this award honors those who share Dr. Galbraith’s passion to increase awareness of domestic violence in Indiana.
To be nominated, applicants:
- Must be living
- Can be a legislator, physician or layperson
- May not have received this award previously
- Must be nominated only by an ISMA committee, commission or member in good standing
Also, nominations must include documentation, including a letter acknowledging the nominee’s qualifications and significant contributions to promote the health and safety of younger members in the community by addressing issues of endangerment and/or violence. These efforts should have been provided without compensation.
Download nomination forms on the ISMA website or for a hard copy, call the ISMA at (317) 261-2060 or (800) 257-4762.