With the year 2010 still very young, you may be reflecting on changes you would like to make in the coming months. Some of your New Year’s resolutions may be personal, but consider adding some professional goals to your list.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Advocate for your patients by participating in ISMA’s Key Contact Program. Using your e-mail address, you can partner with the ISMA to make your voice heard among federal and state legislators. As vital health care issues come up, you will receive standardized messages or talking points from the ISMA to use when calling or e-mailing your representatives. For information, contact ISMA’s Mike Rinebold or Lawrence McCormack.
- Attend Medicine Day at the Statehouse, Jan. 20. This special event gives you an insider’s view of the issues the ISMA will be following during the Indiana General Assembly. The day begins with a breakfast briefing at the Indianapolis downtown Marriott, followed by attendance at legislative committee meetings and lunch with your local representative. Read more about this important day on the ISMA Web site, or call the ISMA.
- Devote a day to service as Physician of the Day at the Indiana Statehouse. This opportunity not only allows you to provide medical care, but also gives you a chance to meet with your representatives. Find more information and register online, or call the ISMA’s Sally Pierson.
- Attend ISMA’s Annual Convention, Sept. 24-26, in Indianapolis. Physician delegates from around the state gather to vote for new officers and consider resolutions that set policy for the organization. Whether or not you are a delegate from your local medical society, you can add to the discussions and take advantage of the programs offered to assist you in your practice.
- Introduce a resolution during the 2010 House of Delegates, Sept. 24-26. If an issue or idea is important to you, consider putting it into a resolution, which sets policy and the legislative agenda for the ISMA. Find tips on how to write resolutions here or call the ISMA.
- Recruit one new colleague to become an ISMA member. Through collective strength, your voice is made stronger as an ISMA member. From representing physician members at the Indiana General Assembly to providing coding assistance for medical staffs, the ISMA ensures a good return on dues investment. If you need talking points or assistance, call the ISMA and ask to speak to your field representative.
Reach any ISMA staff member by calling (800) 257-4762 or (317) 261-2060.