If you administer vaccines to children, you should be aware of new requirements, especially as another school year begins. The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) reminds you that children in grades 6-12 are required to have three new vaccinations:
- Meningococcal (meningitis)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tdap (pertusis)
In addition, children entering preschool or kindergarten at an accredited K-12 school (not daycare centers) must now have two documented varicella vaccines, separated by at least three months, or physician documentation, disease history or laboratory evidence of immunity.
Find more information about school immunization requirements on this website.
The ISDH also urges all immunization information be entered in the Indiana Children and Hoosiers Immunization Registry Program (CHIRP).
The free Internet-based, statewide program is designed to help physicians and other health care providers track immunization records of all Hoosiers. Some of the registry’s features include:
- Immediate access to immunization records of a patient previously seen elsewhere
- Ability to track vaccine inventory by lot number
- Accurate forecasting to prevent invalid or unneeded doses of vaccine
- Display feature stating why a vaccine marked invalid does not meet ACIP guidelines
- Reminder cards and letters to patients
CHIRP maintains data on more than 4.5 million patient records and 33 million vaccinations. Approximately 4,100 users representing physician practices, community health centers, hospitals and public health departments access and enter data into the program.
For information about CHIRP, visit their website or call (317) 234-2584.
New benefit can help you save on vaccine orders
ISMA’s new alliance with Atlantic Health Partners may provide you with favorable pricing for Sanofi Pasteur and Merck pediatric, adolescent, adult, influenza and travel vaccine. You can also receive medical supply discounts and reimbursement support.
The free discount program allows you to better manage vaccine inventories and cash flow because you are not required to make large, multiple orders.
This comprehensive vaccine purchasing program will enable you to:
- Earn all discounts at the time you place your order, giving you the most favorable pricing for pediatric, adolescent, adult, flu and travel vaccines.
- Enjoy a 2 percent prompt-pay discount and 90-day payment terms with Sanofi Pasteur and Merck.
- Gain a 1 percent online order discount with the two vaccine manufacturers.
- Access an additional 1 percent discount from Sanofi Pasteur for Fluzone Partners and VaxMax.
- Order discounted medical/surgical and injectible supplies from Sanofi Pasteur.
- Benefit from Atlantic’s inventory management expertise, coding support and updates on new products.
However, please note that Wyeth’s Prevnar, an infant pneumococcal vaccine, is not included.
Also, vaccines provided by the state through the Vaccines for Children program are exempt from the agreement.
Check out Atlantic’s affiliation agreement on the company’s website; see the red box on the left.
Then learn how your practice can benefit from the ISMA’s new partnership with Atlantic by calling our primary contacts, Cindy Berenson and Jeff Winokur, at (800) 741-2044 or sending an e-mail to Atlantic.