The Medicare Physician Fee-for-Service final rules will be in the Nov. 13 Federal Register. Items of note include:
- Physician fee schedule conversion factor (CF) for Jan. 1 to March 31, 2015, is $35.8013. The CF will change to $28.2239 for April 1, through Dec. 31, 2015, a decrease of 21.1 percent without congressional intervention.
- CMS continues implementation of the value-based payment modifier (VBPM) by applying the 2017 VBPM, based on 2015 reporting. The percent of penalty has been increased to 4 percent.
- Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) - Nine measures are to be reported instead of three for 2015 reporting to avoid a penalty in 2017.
- CMS has finalized its proposal to eliminate the use of 10- and 90-day global surgical codes, beginning in 2017.
- CMS is establishing payment beginning in 2015 for chronic care management services for seniors with multiple conditions who see several specialists. This helps improve the way care is provided by supporting clinicians coordinating care for patients, including outside of regular office visits. The new code is 99490.
- CMS is increasing the details about physicians and practices on the Physician Compare website, including quality measure performance for groups and individuals.