Go to homepage
Legal FAQs
Limited English Proficiency Patients
Do I have to provide a foreign language interpreter for patients who cannot speak English?

Healthcare providers who receive federal assistance (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, etc.), are required to provide a foreign language interpreter for patients with limited English proficiency under the Civil Rights Act. The provider is required to incur the cost associated with providing the interpreter and cannot charge the patient or the patient’s insurance company. There are several language interpreter services available. Additional information is available through the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights and ISMA’s Legal Department.

Copyright: Information written and displayed on www.ismanet.org is the property of ISMA and may not be reproduced without expressed written permission of the Indiana State Medical Association.

For a more detailed sitemap click here.